Another piece of Bradford Food/Drink History

Following on from the school meals, we are now looking at Bradford and it’s MILK history.

THE BRADFORD MODEL MILK COMPANY

The Bradford Model Milk dairy was the brainchild of Wilfred Lowe, who is recognized as a key pioneer of the milk industry which developed its prominent operations and milk processing footprint in Bradford during the 1930s. As many dairies went completely over to pasteurized milk, which became the normal daily doorstep delivery across most of Britain, the Bradford Model Dairy became famous for its sterilised milk, which it continued to process.  In a time when most back-to-back houses would not have had fridges, sterilised milk, was preferred because it lasted longer.

A black-and-white historical photograph from the 1930s showing a fleet of delivery trucks and workers lined up outside a large brick building. The building features a painted roof sign that reads "THE BRADFORD MODEL MILK CO. LTD." Several men in white worker coats and flat caps stand beside the vehicles, which are loaded with milk crates. A caption at the bottom of the image reads, "1930's 'Bradford Model's pioneer Wilfred Lowe would find little difficulty in recognising the original extension' (Express News Christmas 1976)."
The Bradford Model Milk Company Laisterdyke Dairy building

Bradford Model Milk Dairy, Laisterdyke, Bradford. With it’s famous chimney.

A high-angle black-and-white aerial photograph from 1954 showing the industrial landscape of Laisterdyke, Bradford. A prominent blue arrow at the top left points down toward a white-roofed industrial building building complex. Dense rows of terraced houses, factories with chimneys, and a multi-track railway line running alongside a bridge are visible across the urban area. A detailed caption at the bottom reads: "1954 Aerial shot of Laisterdyke, Bradford, with Bradford Model Dairy arrowed, 'Model' on the chimney. The bottling plant opened in 1926 and was acquired by Express in the 1950's; a new dairy was opened in 1951. (Courtesy Matthew Pinto, Milk on the Rails, Photo: C.H. Wood)."

The famous chimney with the word ‘MODEL’ painted down the side is all that is left at the site now.

A high-angle 3D satellite image showing the abandoned, demolished site of a former industrial facility. A tall brick chimney stack stands prominently on the left side, with the word "MODEL" painted vertically down its side in white letters. The rest of the plot consists of overgrown concrete foundations, patches of dirt, scattered debris, and vegetation. The site is bordered by thick green trees on the left and an earthen bank or field on the right.

1957 map of the Laisterdyke Dairy site next to the mills and the sidings yard.

A historical Ordnance Survey map excerpt of the Laisterdyke area in Bradford, showing a detailed street and building layout. A prominent blue arrow points down and to the left toward a large building complex labeled "Dairy." Surrounding landmarks include the Lyceum Cinema, Mortimer Row, Ing Street, Dundas Street, and a Telephone Exchange. The lower section features a large railway corridor labeled "Laisterdyke Station," complete with multiple tracks, platforms, and a station house, bordered by allotment gardens and surrounding mills.

The Bradford Model Milk Co. Ltd (later known as the Bradford Model Dairy) opened its Laisterdyke milk bottling plant at the Argonaut Mill site in Laisterdyke in 1926. The company operated from this location until 1952, when it moved to a new, larger dairy plant on White Abbey Road.

The Bradford Model Dairy operated separate industrial processing lines to cater to different market needs:

A black-and-white historical photograph of a specialized railway wagon carrying a large road tanker trailer on a set of tracks. The large cylindrical tank is painted a dark color with white lettering that reads "GLASS LINED MILK TRANSPORT TANK" on the side, and "BRADFORD MODEL MILK COMPANY LIMITED" on the circular end. The tanker trailer has large rubber tires and is securely chained down to a flatbed railway carriage labeled "MILK TANK WAGON" and marked with "NE" branding. A prominent "Glen Woods" watermark is centered across the image.
  • The Pasteurisation Line: Raw milk arrived by rail tanks like the one in the picture above, via Bowling Back Lane/ Laisterdyke rail was pasteurised—heated to roughly 72°C for 15 seconds—to destroy immediate pathogenic bacteria while preserving a natural cream line and fresh taste. It still required continuous refrigeration.
  • The Sterilisation Line: For “Model Milk”, the dairy took processing a step further. The milk was homogenised so the cream would not separate, sealed in airtight glass bottles with distinct swing-tops (and later crown caps), and heated intensely in excess of 100°C

In the 1930s, the rail line running via the viaduct above Bowling Back Lane in Bradford connected Bowling Junction to Laisterdyke. 2,000-gallon milk tank trucks were removed from train wagons, and these were sent to local facilities like the Bradford Model Dairy, which was built alongside the Laisterdyke Sidings yard.

In the late 1930s or early 1940s, Craven bought out Wilfred Lowes business and immediately started looking at expanding. He required a new location, so work started on the new dairy on White Abbey Road. Shown below.

A historical Ordnance Survey map excerpt showing a dense urban and industrial sector, with a prominent blue arrow pointing down and to the left toward a building labeled "Dairy." The dairy sits at a major junction bordered by City Road, White Abbey Road, and Hardaker Street. Surrounding urban features include Worthington Street, Sunbridge Road, Westgate, several factories marked "Works," a playground, and the Westgate Site Recreation Ground.

In 1949, after talks with Express dairies, a deal was made between the two and Express became the new owners and sole milk delivery company in the immediate area, delivering milk in cartons to hospitals during the 1962 Bradford smallpox outbreak.

White Abbey Road Dairy , after opening in 1952.

A vintage magazine page from "Dairyman, September 1952" titled "A NEW BRADFORD DAIRY." The top half features a large black-and-white photograph of a multi-story brick factory building with "EXPRESS DAIRY" painted prominently on its side walls. The bottom half contains printed historical columns describing the opening of the milk pasteurization and bottling centre by the Lord Mayor. A smaller photograph at the bottom right shows two Express Dairy delivery trucks loaded with milk crates parked underneath a sheltered reception bay.
A black-and-white architectural illustration of a modern Art Deco style industrial building. The corner entrance features a curved facade with a tall, vertical glass block window, lettering that reads "EXPRESS DAIRY," and a Union Jack flag flying from the roof. The main side of the building has rows of large horizontal windows and features prominent signage reading "EXPRESS DAIRY (NORTHERN) LTD." Pedestrians walk on the sidewalk in the foreground, and handwritten script in the bottom right corner reads, "Our New Dairy at Bradford."

The dairy has undergone a few transitions:

1969: Express Dairies was acquired by Grand Metropolitan, the hotel group, who in 1969 diversified into fresh food.

1991: Sold on to Northern Foods, who began as an East Yorkshire dairy, called Northern Dairies in 1937. In post war Britain, they diversified and eventually became the ready meal company that partnered with Marks and Spencer.

2003–2006: Following restructuring, the business was bought by Arla Foods in 2003 and later transferred to Dairy Crest in 2006.

Thank you to https://expressdairytales.uk/ed-bradford  for letting me use some of their images and history. Please head over to their website to learn more about the fascinating history of Express Dairies.

Bradford and Its Children: The History of School Meals

Bradford Firsts – Blog Series No. 1

Bradford and Its Children: The History of School Meals

As part of the Bradford Heritage Festival, running from 13–19 July 2026, Bradford Local Studies is working with West Yorkshire Archives and Bradford Heritage Connection to launch a new series exploring Bradford Firsts—innovations and social movements that began right here in the city.

With this year’s Festival theme focusing on Education, our first blog looks at something that has shaped childhood for generations: the creation of school meals. This story begins in Bradford, with remarkable civic effort, compassion, and community action that would influence national policy.


A Bradford Community Cookbook – We Need Your Recipes!

To celebrate the diverse heritage that makes Bradford the most culturally rich city in Yorkshire and the Humber, we are creating a Bradford Community Cookbook.

We’re inviting you to share:

  • a treasured family recipe,
  • a favourite school pudding, or
  • a dish passed down through generations.

The first 50 submissions will be compiled into a published community cookbook celebrating Bradford’s vibrant food heritage.

📧 Send your recipes to: local.studies@bradford.gov.uk
📌 Email subject line: Community Cookbook

Or Use the online form here: cookbook – Google Forms


The Birth of the Cinderella Club (1890)

136 years ago, Bradford’s civic leaders recognised an urgent social issue: thousands of children in the city were undernourished, and in many cases, starving. In January 1890, a committee of prominent citizens—Mr A. Boyle (President), Mr Arthur Perston (Secretary), Mr J.W. Woodcock (Treasurer), and Messrs W.G. Asquith, F.J. Stockton, and A. Ingle—established the Cinderella Club.

The idea had originated with Robert Blatchford, co‑founder and editor of the Clarion newspaper in Manchester, who had already inspired the creation of similar clubs in his own district.

On Tuesday 28 January 1890, this advertisement appeared in the Bradford Daily Telegraph:

(1)



(2)

Only two weeks later, on 11 February 1890, the Telegraph published a lengthy commentary titled “A Social Question”, discussing the work of both the Cinderella Club and the Salvation Army.
At first glance, the writer appears sceptical of charitable feeding schemes; however, their real concern lay in the temporary nature of such efforts and whether the wealthier classes would have the commitment to maintain long‑term support.


Early Work and Early Impact

Despite these concerns, the Cinderella Club quickly became a major force in the city. In the first four months, the club provided weekly teas and entertainments to nearly 5,000 children.

On Monday 24 February 1890, the Third Weekly Treat took place, with 1,000 children in attendance—joined by Sir Henry Mitchell and Mr James Hanson, who both addressed the gathering.

The children were served a nourishing meal consisting of:

  • a meat sandwich
  • a pint of tea
  • a sweet bun
  • an orange

followed by an evening of entertainment.

(3(4)

A distinctive feature of the Cinderella Club was its refusal to associate with any political or religious organisation. Its founders believed that poverty relief should transcend sectarian and party lines—an unusually progressive stance for the era.

By 1891, the Club expanded its support to include clothing. That summer, Mrs Titus Salt, Alderman William C. Lupton, and the Lord Mayor, Mr Jacob Moser, introduced countryside excursions for children. In 1898, Sir William and Lady Priestley funded special outings for widows as well.

Between 1890 and 1901, the Bradford Daily Telegraph ran the Telegraph Cinderella Fund, raising £4,842 18s. 1d. to support this work.

By 1902–3, the Club had provided:

  • 110,340 meals
  • 5,116 teas and entertainments
  • 1,018 Christmas dinners

These were extraordinary achievements driven by community generosity and commitment.


The Cinderella Club and the Education Committee

A turning point came in October 1904, when Frederick Jowett of the Independent Labour Party and a member of the Bradford Education Committee, supported by social reformer Margaret McMillan, asked the Club to compile a report on child hunger.

This report estimated that around 3,000 children in Bradford were experiencing hunger severe enough to affect their health and education.

The Education Committee asked the Cinderella Club to begin providing meals for the most urgent cases. Within a week, meals were being supplied to 34 schools, prepared initially at Green Lane School and served by teachers.

This arrangement continued until July 1905, when Bradford Council took over formal provision under the new Education (Provision of Meals) Act 1906.
Link to the Act: https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/Edw7/6/57/enacted

Below is an extract from the Committee’s report:
(5)


What the Children Ate: 1904–5 Meal Schedule

From The Bradford Cinderella Club: Coming of Age, 1890–1911 (Willie Gill), the menu for the winter of 1904–5 included:

  • Mondays & Wednesdays – a pint of nourishing lentil soup (meat stock with lentils and vegetables), 2–3 oz of bread, followed by one or more plates of rice pudding.
  • Tuesdays & Thursdays – savoury meat hash with potatoes and onions, bread, and rice pudding.
  • Fridays – pea soup (prepared as above), bread, and rice pudding.
  • Saturdays – an evening meal of tea, sandwiches and buns.

The simplicity of the meals belies their importance: they were often the only substantial food children received all day.


The Only Cinderella Club Still Operating

Remarkably, the Bradford Cinderella Club is the only one still in operation today, continuing its mission to support the city’s children more than 130 years after its founding.

You can learn more about their mission here:
🔗 https://cinderellaclub.org/


Looking Ahead: The Recipes Behind the Meals

This history aligns with the meals later formalised under the 1906 Provision of Meals Act.
Bradford Local Studies holds an original 1906 school meal recipe booklet, compiled by Marion E. Cuff, Superintendent of Domestic Subjects.

(6)

In our next blog, we’ll explore some of these early recipes, attempt to recreate a few, and discuss the remarkable logistics of preparing meals for more than 3,000 children across the Bradford district.


Send Us Your Recipes!

Help us celebrate Bradford’s diverse food heritage.
📧 local.studies@bradford.gov.uk
📌 Subject: Community Cookbook

Written by Vicki Warner

‘Is your house called Windyridge? Willie Riley (1866-1961), famous Bradford author’

Bradford History Afternoon Lectures
Bradford Local Studies Library

‘Is your house called Windyridge? Willie Riley (1866-1961), famous Bradford author’
an illustrated talk by David Copeland
Thursday 27th November, 2.15pm

“W. (Willie) Riley, 1866-1961, was a Bradford businessman and later in life a best-selling author, mainly of novels, most being set in his beloved Yorkshire. The talk will tell the story of the remarkable life of Willie Riley, and about his books. In this Year of Bradford, City of Culture, it is good to remember one of Bradford’s illustrious and remarkable men of culture.”

These talks are given by members and supporters of FoBALS (Friends of Bradford Archives & Local Studies) with Bradford Local Studies Library and West Yorkshire Archives Bradford.
Doors open at 2pm for a 2:15pm start.

Free entry to all events. Booking essential.

Lunchtime Lectures – ‘Book Treasures in Local Studies’

These talks are given by members of FoBALS (Friends of Bradford Archives & Local Studies) with Bradford Local Studies Library and West Yorkshire Archives Bradford.

‘Book Treasures in Local Studies’ – an illustrated talk by Bob Duckett
Thursday 25th April
Doors open at 1pm for a 1.15pm start. Free entry to all events. Booking essential.

The Bradford ‘Free’ Library was established in 1872 and from the start efforts were made to collect books and other items of local interest and the collections have developed over many years. Come along and hear Bob speak about some of the ‘Treasures’ from these collections. There will be the opportunity to view some of these items on display.

Bob Duckett is widely known as Bradford’s Reference Librarian before retirement. Since retirement Bob has been a volunteer in a number of libraries including Bradford Local Studies Library.

For more information or to book a place please telephone or email Bradford Local Studies Library, Telephone 01274 433688, Email local.studies@bradford.gov.uk.

Bradford Local Studies Library, Margaret McMillan Tower, Princes Way, BD1 1NN.

Lunchtime lectures poster

Treasure of the week no. 26: Hedgehogs, polecats and churchwardens.

This week we resume our popular ‘Treasure of the Week feature by our volunteer ‘Stackmole’. These treasures are from 19th Century Publications which give a varied insight into the Bradford of the 19th Century – history as it happened. We hope these articles will encourage people to study these items and to pursue this interest into other aspects of Bradford’s history.

Natural History Notes from the Bradford Churchwarden’s Accounts by Herbert E. Wroot. Offprint of pages 183-187 from The Naturalist, June 1895. Contains a transcript of the entries relating to payments for catching wild animals from 1668 to 1748.

JND 18/12 (Please quote this number if requesting this item)

Tres 26 image

The Churchwardens were very much the local officials in the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries and were responsible for the administration of the law. Interesting are the payments made for catching vermin and wild animals. The entries in The Accounts of the Bradford Churchwardens date from 1668 to the end of 1748. From these, journalist and naturalist, Herbert Wroot, transcribed the entries that relate to wild animals. They give evidence that in and near Bradford there were:

  • Hedgehogs (or ‘Urchins’)
  • Wild Cats
  • Foxes
  • Otters
  • Badgers (or ‘Greys’)
  • Polecats (or Foumarts)

hedgehog from Eileen Aroon p 127

Image from ‘Eileen Aroon’ by Stables, Gordon, 1884 https://www.flickr.com/photos/britishlibrary Flickr Commons

Most common of these were hedgehogs, the deaths of 180 being recorded. Superstition against this harmless creature was strong – they were supposed to seek the milk from the udders of cows as they lay on the ground. The existence of the wild cat in the district is especially interesting; the animal being long ago extinct in England. Four specimens are referred to – two were caught in 1676, one in 1678, and the last in 1680. The badger or ‘gray’ seems to have been scarce or rarely seen. The sole specimen referred to was killed in 1676 at Shipley. Although polecats are several times noted, there were no martins, weasels or stoats. Otters were not uncommon, five having been killed, the last mentioned in 1731.

No payment was made for any of the birds whose destruction was prescribed by the Acts; birds such as hawks, kites, the buzzard, magpie, jay, rave or kingfisher. Likewise, there is no record of smaller vermin such as rats, mice or moles. The rewards paid, one shilling each for foxes and greys, and two pence each for hedgehogs, otters, wild cats and polecats, were in conformity with the scale prescribed by the Government.

The struggles of the illiterate churchwardens with spelling of the words ‘urchin’ and ‘hedgehog’ are amusing. Two examples are:

1670, April 23   Paid to Thomas Roe for Catshing two heg hoges ..… 4d.

1679-9   Aloud to the Churchwarden of Shipley for 6 uerchanes & for a wild cat ….. 2s. 02d.

Stackmole

Image from ‘Eileen Aroon’ by Stables, Gordon, 1884 https://www.flickr.com/photos/britishlibrary Flickr Commons